Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Koya - The Soho Udon adventure

The last time we went to Burger & Lobster with DrDrey, she showed us this udon place (Koya) on Firth Street in Soho. It was about 6:30pm but the place was bustling and there was already a queue outside with about 20 people waiting in the cold.

I'm a little sick of the whole queuing for restaurants thing, so I told myself to comeback during lunchtime. Also with JLO's allergies we cant have ramen, so Jap-wise udon is the next best thing!

Last Saturday about 1pm JLO and I got there and there was no queue, however once we sat down a nice little hoard of people decided to queue up! Always makes me feel special to have gotten a table when that happens :)

The menu was straightforward, udon in soup, cold udon with hot soup, udon with cold dipping sauce, udon in curry and some dons for the non-udon fans. Side dishes also available, we went with pork belly cooked with cider (£6.50) (porkalicious!) and udon with pork & miso (£9.90). I asked for an egg (£2.50) as well which was perfectly cooked the way I like; semi solid but still runny on the inside - yum. The egg comes on the side still in it's shell and cold, which was a little tricky to crack open and got a little messy.

Verdict: JLO friendly udon is a hit for cold days (and udon craving days). Udon was nice and solid and not too sticky, soup base was light and tasty, pork in my noodles was sweet and the pork belly side dish was melt-in-your-mouth good. Service was a little ho-hum, but overall I'd go back if there was no need queue.

I heart Japanese food!

No comments:

Post a Comment