Monday, October 22, 2012

Easy friendly Mash

Potatoes are a super favourite in our household. They are easy to eat, easy to make and easy to prep. Plus they keep well for the next day if you have any leftovers! Win-win all round I say.

What I haven't been able to do is make a good dairy free mash without causing commotion in the kitchen. I hate the mashing thingies with the grid, it causes me post potato stress as the washing is so hard! Plus most creamy mashes call for milk, which is of course not friendly for all..

That day I was making soup so I went a little crazy with purchasing potatos and discovered that by Thursday I had gigantic proportions of potato left. Not that there were many of them, I had 2 giant ones so though I'd make some mash.

I usually just smash my potatoes as it's much easier than trying to make it creamy but this time I boiled them a little longer than usual till they were breaking apart (skinless potatoes). After draining the water from the pot I chucked in a handful of fresh rosemary and a good splash of olive oil. I mixed it a little then covered the lid and left it for a few mins. Using a strong spatula, I stirred while adding in more olive oil till I got the consistency I liked. Salted, a bit of a stir and high praise from JLO!
Rosemary mash
copyright elainers

2 comments:

  1. You could also try sunflower spread as a butter substitute in mash? (actually I'm guessing you prob have before) It prob won't taste as good as olive oil though, I remember being annoyed at Waitrose when I discovered that the olive spread has dairy in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I have used Soy or Olive spread before, but the dairy free olive spread tastes a little funky in mash.. strange! Leon says it tastes 'buttery', but what does he know? haha. Yah, the brands like Bertolli or fancy olive spreads all have dairy in it, gotta go the 'Pure' brand or something a little more niche..

    ReplyDelete