Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Croatian oopsie

I broke a shot glass that we bought while visiting Croatia (it was a lovely trip, swimming was super), and boy was JLO upset at me. He decided to place the 3 shot glasses on the book shelf below where the other shotties live, and while I was trying to fit my new cookbooks on the book shelf I heard a heart shattering crash of cheap ceramic.
Normally I wouldn't concern myself too much with €2 items but this was only one of three shot glasses JLO insisted on getting while in Croatia. Reading back that statement I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at our € spend on cheap mass produced souvenirs.

So to sum up, he was upset it broke and I was upset he put the silly thing there and we still had shrapnel on the floor and a piece cut my foot; really there were no winners in this..
Except 'Andrews of Hamstead' which is where I bought the super glue to fix all our problems. Glue: £2.89; shot glass: €2.50. Ridiculous.

Oh and after all that, my cookbooks don't even fit on the damn shelf.
just call me dr fix it
copyright elainers
Anyway, a little bit on our trip to Croatia not too long ago (over the long weekend at the end of Aug). The 8 of us were keen to be sunned up, and the trip was lovingly organized by GC who managed to get us a boat to take us around. I don't mean just during the day, no, we actually stayed on the boat for 2 nights! Our skipper Mladen (pronounced Mh-La-Dun) was very experienced and took us around - he kind of looked like James bond in his bright yellow shorts. Too bad I didn't take a picture for fear of looking like a stalker.
Croatia was really lovely; sparkling waters and endless views
copyright elainers
Basically the boat had 3 bedrooms, each room slept 2 with an additional 2 beds in the living area. It was crammed, but cosy as well - I might have been grumbling about the room size originally as we got the biggest room and I was feeling guilty, I didn't want everyone else to feel bad that their rooms were smaller, so I went on a bit.. oops. I concluded that I was just too big for the rooms. But it was our own boat - very cool.

This was what we did as spoilt children on the boat:

Day 1: Check in at Split (where we got picked up from the Split airport and driven to the boat), sailed to Brač island to swim off the boat, and then to Hvar island. We visited the old town of Hvar, where we bought one shot glass (of course) and slept at the Pakleni islands in front of Hvar, a place called Palmižana. The most amazing thing was that the waters we were on were so clear, even at night as you could see right down to the bottom. At this island, Mladen took us to this incredible restaurant for dinner where we had platters of lobster, prawn, fish, squid, fish soup, cray fish.. an ocean of seafood (and lots of other starters) magically appeared on our table. I'm hungry all over again just thinking about it. The bill was pricey at just under £50 each, but it was worth it - our first meal was a hit!

Day 2: We continued sailing from Hvar to Korčula island (cue broken shot glass), stopped for lunch at a small restaurant and did some swimming at the island of Šćedro. This island only has about 30 residential houses, and no commercial development is allowed so that no one can ruin the island. The restaurant here served meat and seafood, and the bill only came to £76 for 9 of us and we were stuffed. Good food at good prices - seems a theme here!

Day 3: Our last day on the boat! How time flies when you are on holiday. We sailed from Korčula to the small island called Badija for some last-chance swimming and then went to Pelješac Peninsula which was our check-out location, a place called Orebić. The journey was long - at least 3 hours, which we spent flopped over different parts of the boat sleeping and drowning ourselves in sunblock. At 
Orebić we bid farewell to Mladen and waited in the hot sun for our transfer to old town Dubrovnik (third shottie).
Day 4: We stayed within the old town and it's very touristy there - I guess you can tell as everything is catered for the English speaking tourists. Lovely cobblestone streets and windy paths with local's homes and accommodation seemingly built into the walls. Its an amazing town, and am glad we got a chance to take the cable car up to see the view. 
A couple of friends swimming off our boat; like your own very gigantic swimming pool
copyright elainers
Overall my experience of Croatia was fantastic - good food, good company, good weather. I would certainly head back and get another boat offering. Its nowhere near as expensive as Greece, and the different islands are not as touristy. The views and food in Greece were amazing as well, so if I had money to burn I'd go back to Greece; Croatia is a lovely cheaper alternative though!

No comments:

Post a Comment