Tuesday, October 9, 2012

vegan (egg&dairy free) banana muffins

Recently I've been feeling rather homely, so a couple of weekends ago I pulled my partner (JLO - who is of no association to any singing competition and does not look great in a glittery dress or use Venus razors) to sainsbury to get a whole heap of baking supplies. It's really not the best place to start, but it's got all the necessary ingredients plus I got these silicon muffin trays for about £3 each; great buy in my very limited baking experience!

JLO has a few allergies to food products, so all baking needs to be vegan-ish. While it might sound like a challenge, I really don't know any different! I found a couple of vegan muffin recipes online and went baking! Super easy stuff.

JLO-friendly BananaMuffins
Mash bananas(3), oil(1/4cup), sugar(1cup) - mix well; sift & add the flour(2cups), salt(1 tsp), baking soda(1tsp)!
Bake in 180degreesC for about 20-25 mins, on testing a toothpick should come up clean. I like to leave mine at least 25mins so I get a slightly harder top. makes 1 dozen.

I also made some icing but it wasn't that great.

Done! But just for fun I added in some dairy free chocolate - love how the chocolate breaks up the muffin texture and oozes out..

My first baking experience was only hampered by the broken light in the oven.. Ok I lie. The light hasn't worked for weeks now, and frankly I'm a little sick of bending down and using my iPhone light to check on food in the oven. It always gets a giggle out of JLO though. I'm sure mr phone is sick of getting food all over the screen as I keep unlocking it to use the light! how on earth do i fix oven lights?

I will try something else next time.. yay to baking! (and bribing JLO with yum treats into washing up after my fun :) )
vegan banana muffins with icing
copyright Elaine
fresh muffins out of the oven in my new muffin trays
copyright Elaine

2 comments:

  1. You should totally come over when we have our new kitchen and we can experiment with JLo friendly stuff! Mr T makes a pretty mean dairy free icing and I'm always up for making, eating and taking photos of sugary deliciousness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Totally! I could sure use with hands on experience with the masters :)

    ReplyDelete